Equipment Operator - Resource Recovery Facility
The Town of Kittery has an opening for a full-time Equipment Operator at the Resource Recovery Facility. The pay rate for this non-exempt, union position is $20.21 per hour. The standard work schedule for this position is Tuesday through Saturday from 8:45am to 5:15pm. This position is eligible for medical, dental, vision, life insurance, short-term disability and retirement benefits.
This position requires a valid Class B driver’s license, or the ability to acquire a Class B driver’s license within six (6) months of hire. This position also requires pre-employment, and random drug and alcohol testing.
The purpose of this position is to operate equipment and provide general labor for the Public Works Department. This position reports to the commissioner and/or foreman. Duties include, but are not limited to: operating front-end loaders, back hoes, street sweepers, balers, compactors, and other light equipment; removing snow; cleaning trucks; maintaining equipment; picking up rubbish; and performing additional tasks as assigned by the commissioner or foreman.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The following duties are normal for this position. These are not to be construed as exclusive or all-inclusive. Other duties may be required and assigned.
- Performs all the duties and responsibilities of a Driver/Laborer II, including general maintenance and landscaping, raking leaves, plowing and snow removal
- Performs general maintenance services including preventive maintenance on assigned trucks and equipment, including cleaning and washing truck and equipment, completing daily checks, checking fuel and fluids, changing tires, and making minor repairs
- Drives truck to haul sand, gravel, hot top, loam, etc.; operates front-end loader, back hoes, street sweepers, hot top roller, and other light equipment; operates sidewalk sweeper
- Drives a truck which hauls sand, gravel, and other materials; plows snow from roads, sidewalks, parking lots, solid waste facility and sands; builds sidewalks; cuts brush; trims trees; picks up rubbish over a predetermined route
- Utilizes various machines and equipment in the delivery of service, such as dump truck, front-end loader, cardboard baler, power grinders, mechanic’s tools, glass crusher, can crusher, street sweeper, hydrovac, hot top roller, backhoe, chain saws, hand tools, and general laborer tools
- Utilizes loader to load land fill into trailer; loads and hauls other materials to burn area; inspects rubbish being dumped to ensure proper separation; operates rubbish compactor
- Answers the telephone; assists residents unloading rubbish, when needed; directs residents where to dump rubbish; disassembles discarded materials, as necessary
- Maintains cleanliness of work areas; ensures restroom facilities are properly maintained and stocked; ensures facility is cleaned and maintained
- Oversees all incoming and outgoing materials; handles finances of incoming and outgoing materials at solid waste facility
- Reviews and receives various reports, documents, and forms, including shipping order forms, purchase order forms, telephone logs, maintenance reports, check lists, and weekly/monthly reports
- Assists in installing drainage; directs traffic for road maintenance
- May require direction and supervision of other employees
- Performs other related duties as required
- High School diploma or GED required, with a minimum of three years of experience in equipment operation, general maintenance, construction, or related field; or any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience which provides the requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities for this position.
- Must possess a valid commercial driver’s license, or be able to acquire one within six (6) months from hire date
- Ability to communicate effectively and in an appropriate professional manner, and to convey or exchange professional information
- Ability to interact with people (i.e., staff general public and elected officials) beyond giving and /or receiving instructions
- Ability to utilize mathematical formulas, and to understand a variety of professional, technical and administrative documentation, directions, regulations, instructions, methods and procedures
- Ability to produce reports that are accurate and complete
The physical abilities described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must be physically able to operate a variety of machines and equipment, including, but not limited to: dump truck, front-end loader, cardboard baler, power grinders, mechanic’s tools, glass crusher, can crusher, street sweeper, basin cleaner, hot top roller, backhoe, chain saws, hand tools and general laborer tools
- Must be able to move or carry job-related objects and materials up to 50 pounds
- Must be physically capable of walking, crawling, crouching, stooping, kneeling, pushing, pulling, lifting, and carrying relatively heavy object
- Work is normally performed outside; physical demand requirements are at levels of those for heavy physical work
Town of Kittery
Attn: Human Resources
200 Rogers Road, Kittery, ME 03904
Accepting application packets until position is filled.
The Town of Kittery is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and is committed to excellence through diversity in its staff. We strongly encourage all qualified individuals to apply.