Event Rental Manager (part-time, year-round)
Strawbery Banke Museum (SBM) is a “Place to Gather” as outlined in the organizational strategic plan. To facilitate this strategic objective, the museum offers indoor and outdoor spaces available to businesses and individuals to rent for meetings, dinners, weddings, lectures and corporate outings. The Event Rental Manager is responsible for managing, coordinating, and facilitating the events from start to finish.
The Event Rental Manager also serves as the primary staff resource for the Labrie Family Skate at Puddle Dock Pond. This role involves working closely with the rink management company and their staff in managing the daily operations of the rink, its programs and day-to-day activities to ensure a quality experience for all visitors, reflective of SBM.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
EVENT RENTALS (Approximately 75% of Manager’s Responsibilities)
- Promote SBM as a unique and premier rental location on the Seacoast
- Develop and implement a sales strategy and work with the Director of Marketing to coordinate marketing efforts
- Achieve annual revenue target and regularly report on status
- Respond to rental inquiries in a timely, effective and proactive manner
- Administer venue visits with potential clients and proactively facilitate follow-up conversations
- Schedule all event rentals (including coordinating the interdepartmental SBM calendar), negotiate and document contracts
- Invoice, receive, deposit, and allocate all money from facility rentals and monitor accounts receivable in cooperation with the Finance Department
- Update the internal master events calendar and communicate with SBM staff about needs for set-up and clean-up
- Work directly with clients, caterers and vendors to handle all logistics related to event rentals
- Be present at rental functions or ensure adequate SBM staff coverage
- Coordinate rental efforts with the Corporate Sponsorship Program
- Create unique experiences for clients
- Resolve customer complaints
- Ensure compliance with insurance, legal, health and safety regulations (Dig Safe, etc.), all laws and rules pertaining to alcohol on premises, and obtain any required permits and licenses.
- Serve as the primary liaison between Rink Services Group management staff and SBM. This position involves close collaboration with the Director of Facilities to coordinate the rink opening and closing schedule, and the Director of Marketing to ensure that the seasonal calendar, hours of operation, and rink programs are promoted as a resource for the community.
- Serve as the primary contact to the operational vendors for the Labrie Family Skate at Puddle Dock Pond including Ice Dance International, the resident ice skating organization. Schedule private rentals of the rink, and work with the Corporate and Community Engagement Manager to ensure sponsor commitments are fulfilled.
- Work with SBM staff and the Rink Management Company to coordinate logistics for special programs and events including Learn to Skate program, professional skating show(s), accessibility sessions and others.
- Ideal candidate will be responsible, detail-oriented, proactive and have the ability to represent SBM in a friendly and enthusiastic manner
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Exceptional customer service skills
- Detail-oriented and highly organized
- Maintains confidentiality and uses discretion with sensitive information
- Maintains professional demeanor
- Proficient in Microsoft Office
- Technologically savvy with presentation systems (for PowerPoint, sound system, etc.)
- Event and/or wedding planning and coordination experience preferred
- Positive, collegial attitude and ability to work cooperatively with others at all levels of the organization including direct reports, colleagues, supervisor, volunteers, and visitors of all ages, abilities, and cultural backgrounds.
- SBM is committed to fostering a workplace that is truly equitable, inclusive, and accessible for a diverse group of staff, volunteers, and visitors. It is an essential requirement that every SBM staff member actively contributes to a culture of empathy, dignity, trust, and respect. Each person at SBM agrees to proactively prevent and address issues such as unconscious bias, harassment, gender disparity, racial inequity, political divisiveness, and barriers to accessibility.
Must be physically fit. Work entails moving about the 10-acre site, extended periods outdoors and the ability to lift and carry chairs, tables and similar equipment.
Required Working Conditions:
The 22.5 hours/week are spread over mornings, afternoons, evenings and weekends to accomplish the combination of office work and logistics of specific events and the schedule may fluctuate on a weekly basis. Weekly schedule updates will be clearly communicated to the Director of Development. All SBM year-round employees are expected to work periodic special events throughout the year. SBM is a flexible work environment, respectful of work/life balance.
Must be physically and mentally able to perform the essential functions of the position, with or without reasonable accommodations.
None; potential to supervise interns and/or seasonal staff who may help with day-of event coverage.
Apply directly by submitting your resume and cover letter, and completing the SBM Employment Application here: https://forms.gle/yQWqwfVJZznPmzi8A
- 403(b) Retirement Plan
- Flexible Spending Account for health expenses
- Strawbery Banke Museum membership benefits
- Paid time off including vacation, sick leave, personal time, and holidays.* Each fiscal year (April 1– March 31):
- 90 hours (12 days) of vacation
- 45 hours (6 days) of sick leave
- 15 hours (2 days) of personal time
- All holidays that fall on this position’s regularly scheduled workdays.
About Strawbery Banke Museum:
Strawbery Banke Museum is a 10-acre living history museum located in the heart of downtown Portsmouth. The museum interprets daily life in the same historic waterfront neighborhood over 300+ years, making the 37 historic buildings accessible to a wide range of visitors one of our primary goals. Strawbery Banke hosts an ever-growing number of special events and programs throughout the year. Seasonal and holiday signature events are time-honored traditions that help make Portsmouth the vibrant destination it is. Strawbery Banke is continually ranked as TripAdvisor’s #1 “Thing to do in Portsmouth”, Yankee Magazine Editors’ Choice: Best of New England Classics “Best Historic Village” and the 2020 Best of the Seacoast in the Entertainment & Leisure category for Best Group Event/Tour/Activity.
Strawbery Banke Museum:
A place to learn,
A place to gather,
A place to preserve.
To promote understanding of the lives of individuals and the value of community through encounters with the history and ongoing preservation of a New England waterfront neighborhood.
Toward that goal, Strawbery Banke Museum:
- Acquires and conserves, for today's visitors and for future generations, historic buildings, objects, and other materials pertinent to its mission.
- Conducts research aimed at placing local developments within the broader context of city, state, and national history.
- Disseminates the results of that research to the public through exhibitions, publications, demonstrations, tours, symposia, workshops, and other educational activities and programs.