Driver Laborer II - Parks
The Town of Kittery has an opening for a full-time Driver Laborer II - Parks. The pay rate for this non-exempt, union position is $19.27 per hour. The standard work schedule for this position is Monday through Friday from 7:00am to 3:30pm. This position is eligible for medical, dental, vision, life insurance, short-term disability and retirement benefits.
This position requires a valid Class B driver’s license, or the ability to acquire a Class B driver’s license within six (6) months of hire. This position also requires pre-employment, and random drug and alcohol testing.
The purpose of this position is to oversee and participate in the maintenance of roads, parks and highways for the public works department of the Town of Kittery. This position reports to the commissioner and/or the foreman. Duties include, but are not limited to: repairing roads and potholes; maintaining road signs; hauling loads; cutting trees; raking leaves; plowing and snow removal; trimming trees; installing sidewalks; maintaining cemetery; installing drainage pipes; and performing additional tasks as assigned by the commissioner/foreman.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The following duties are normal for this position. These are not to be construed as exclusive or all-inclusive. Other duties may be required and assigned.
- Performs general maintenance services including preventive maintenance on vehicles, plowing snow, repairing potholes, cleaning the shop, sweeping roads and islands, and discarding trash and rubbish
- Provides basic landscaping services including cutting brush; mowing grass; trimming trees; raking leaves; picking up rubbish; spreading bark mulch; and planting flowers, shrubs or trees
- Installs drainage pipes; hauls gravel, hot top, sand, fill, and salt
- Installs and repairs sidewalks; repairs roads; repairs potholes; installs and repairs signs; builds and repairs sidewalks
- Oversees and participates in the maintenance of parks including gate relief, cleaning restrooms, cleaning tables and grills, mowing lawns, sweeping roads, clearing beaches of litter, maintaining trails, upkeeping signs, ball fields, property, piers, etc., and staining picnic benches
- Performs general maintenance at cemeteries, including cementing and straightening headstones; assists with traffic control; performs minor repairs to fences, equipment, doors, buildings, locks, irrigation systems, etc.
- Operates small equipment and loaders for filling dump trucks
- Utilizes various machines and equipment in the delivery of services, such as dump truck, sidewalk sweeper, chainsaws, air compressor, wood chipper, compactor, transit, balers, conveyors, sanders, plow/wing, lawn mowers, front-end loaders, carpenter’s tools, plumbing tools, concrete mixer, mechanic’s tools and saws
- Provides traffic control at work sites
- Picks up materials at local businesses, as needed; assists mechanic, as needed
- Moves furniture and voting equipment; removes seasonal decorations; performs carpentry jobs
- Performs other related duties as required
- High school diploma or GED required, with experience in carpentry, plumbing, road maintenance, park maintenance, or related field; or any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience which provides the requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities for this position
- Must possess a valid Class B commercial driver’s license, or be able to acquire one within six (6) months from hire date
- Ability to communicate effectively and in an appropriate professional manner, and to convey or exchange professional information
- Ability to interact with people (i.e., staff general public and elected officials) beyond giving and /or receiving instructions
- Ability to utilize mathematical formulas, and to understand a variety of professional, technical and administrative documentation, directions, regulations, instructions, methods and procedures
- Ability to produce reports that are accurate and complete
The physical abilities described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must be physically able to operate a variety of machines and equipment, including, but not limited to: dump truck, chain saw, air compressor, wood chipper, compactor, transit, plasma cutter, welder, lawn mowers, front-end loaders, power grinders, hot top roller, carpenter’s tools, plumbing tools, concrete mixer, mechanic’s tools, general laborer tools, and saws
- Must be able to move or carry job-related objects or materials up to 50 pounds
- Must be physically capable of walking, crawling, crouching, stooping, kneeling, pushing, pulling, lifting, and carrying relatively heavy objects
- Work is normally performed outside; physical demand requirements are at levels of those for heavy physical work
Town of Kittery
Attn: Human Resources
200 Rogers Road, Kittery, ME 03904
Accepting application packets until position is filled.
The Town of Kittery is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and is committed to excellence through diversity in its staff. We strongly encourage all qualified individuals to apply.