Custodian - Part-Time
The Town of Kittery has an immediate opening for a Part-Time Custodian. The schedule for this position is Monday through Friday from 5:30 a.m. to 10:00 a.m. The pay rate for this non-exempt, non-union is $16.74 per hour.
The purpose of this position is to perform the janitorial/cleaning duties of the Kittery Town Hall as well as provide backup coverage at the Kittery Community Center and Rice Public Library as needed. The person in this position is responsible for performing varied custodial and light maintenance duties. The work requires the use of standard tools, general cleaning supplies, minor equipment, snow blower, buffer, and some carpentry tools. This position reports to the Facilities Maintenance Supervisor.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The following duties are normal for this position. These are not to be construed as exclusive or all-inclusive. Other duties may be required and assigned.
- Has responsibility for cleaning at the facility;
- Performs janitorial/cleaning services throughout the building. Examples of work; sweep, mop, vacuum, clean bathrooms, empty trash, etc.;
- Maintains walkways in the winter;
- Assists with performing light repairs to buildings and equipment.
- Assists with moving heavy items such as boxes and equipment;
- Participates in tasks involved in setting up rooms for functions;
- Attends meetings and training sessions as required;
- Maintains knowledge of, and observes safety standards, including storage and disposal of cleaning supplies, chemicals and other hazardous materials;
- Assists with providing a safe environment for all activities;
- Performs other related duties as required;
- Complies with safety regulations and maintains clean and orderly work areas.
- Relevant work experience in building custodial and maintenance work;
- Working knowledge of the methods, equipment, and supplies used in day-to-day cleaning of buildings;
- Available to work a varied schedule or an adjustment to accommodate evenings and weekends hours if needed;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with supervisors, employees, elected officials and the general public;
- Working knowledge of building cleaning practices, supplies and equipment;
- Skilled in the use of manual and power tools and equipment used in various maintenance, janitorial/cleaning and repair tasks;
- Must possess a valid driver’s license;
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision;
- Must be able to read and interpret equipment manuals, instructions on industrial cleanser, and SDS sheets;
- Must possess good organizational skills;
- Must be able to meet multiple demands from several people and interact with the public and other staff;
- Ability to exercise initiative and good judgement and complete efforts independently and as a member of a team.
The physical abilities described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must be able to frequently stoop, reach, stand, walk, lift, pull, push, grasp, talk, hear, see, climb a ladder a minimum of six feet and use repetitive motions;
- Must be physically capable of frequently lifting up to 50 pounds of materials, etc.;
- Must be able to utilize close vision such as to read handwritten or typed material and the ability to adjust focus;
- Must be able to operate hand tools, power tools, cleaning equipment, a computer, keyboard, printer, telephone, and other equipment necessary to perform the duties of this position;
- Must be able to move or carry job-related objects or materials;
- Must be able to communicate through speech and in writing.
Attn: Human Resources
200 Rogers Road, Kittery, ME 03904
Accepting application packets until position is filled.
The Town of Kittery is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and is committed to excellence through diversity in its staff. We strongly encourage all qualified individuals to apply.