Seasonal Lead Summer Camp Counselor
The Town of Kittery is searching for a Seasonal Lead Summer Camp Counselor. The pay rate for this non-exempt position is $16.00 per hour. This position will lead a group of campers between age 5 and 5th grade. This seasonal position is Monday through Friday, 40 hours per week, beginning June 21 and ending August 20. Candidates must be available to work a shift between the hours of 8:30am and 4:30pm. This seasonal position is not benefit eligible.
Candidates must be 21 years of age or older, motivated, great with kids, dependable and must successfully pass a background check.
The purpose of this seasonal part-time position is to work the Kittery Community Center summer camp program. This position reports to the Sports/SAFE Coordinator or Recreation Supervisor. Duties include, but are not limited to: supervising youth in the program; keeping children safe; managing daily functions of summer camp programming, making quick judgements in any moment; taking charge in any situation as needed; taking responsibility for an assigned group; communicating with camp families, assisting in instructing camp counselors; participating in daily activities and special events; taking direction from supervisor; taking attendance; and performing additional tasks as assigned by the Sports/SAFE Coordinator or Recreation Supervisor.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The following duties are normal for this position. These are not to be construed as exclusive or all-inclusive. Other duties may be required and assigned.
- Supervises assigned children in accordance with Maine State licensing rules;
- Provides leadership, instruction, and ongoing assistance to counselors and campers during program;
- Coordinates and implements daily and weekly camp activities;
- Assists Sports/SAFE Coordinator or Recreation Supervisor in ensuring that all environments and supervision of children are safe and age appropriate;
- Maintains awareness of staff to student ratios and notifies supervisor of ratio changes during the day;
- Demonstrates respectful and appropriate interaction with all staff, campers, and families;
- Communicates effectively and in an appropriate professional manner with parents;
- Identifies and responds to camper behavior issues;
- Manages Sign In/Sign Out area when assigned;
- Responds to first aid needs of children in program;
- Plans/implements activities and events as assigned by;
- Maintains accountability for all equipment and uses it in an appropriate manner;
- Required to be with campers at all times;
- Assigns camp counselors tasks and responsibilities as necessary;
- Assists supervisor in the staff evaluation process;
- Assists in administering of medication in accordance with Kittery Community Center policies;
- Attends all staff meetings and training sessions and completes all assigned online trainings;
- Reports any accidents, injuries, and incidents to supervisor and immediately fills out the appropriate paperwork;
- Assists in maintaining program records including, but not limited to, attendance, emergency forms, media release forms and incident reports;
- Serves as a positive role model;
- Adheres to duties and responsibilities assigned by supervisor;
- Performs other related duties as required.
- Education in recreation, outdoor education, child care, or related field preferred with experience in recreation, or any equivalent combination of education, training and experience which provides the requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities for this position;
- Must be at least 21 years of age and have High School Diploma or equivalent;
- Show examples of significant leadership or youth experience;
- Understanding of age-appropriate activities and behavior management techniques for children in grades K-5;
- Ability to communicate effectively and in an appropriate professional manner, and to convey or exchange professional information, including camp personnel and other town employees;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, supervisors, staff, parents, community leaders and the general public;
- Excellent organizational and communication skills;
- Ability to utilize mathematical formulas, and to understand a variety of professional, technical and administrative documentation, directions, regulations, instructions, methods and procedures;
- Maintains proficiency in first aid and CPR;
- Be aware of and understand emergency protocol procedures;
- Possess an understanding of age-appropriate activities and behavior management techniques for children in grades K-5.
The physical abilities described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must be physically able to operate a variety of machines and equipment, including, but not limited to: computer, scanner, telephone, copy machine, shredder, keyboard, printer, hand tools and sports equipment;
- Must be able to lift, move or carry job-related objects or materials up to 50 pounds;
- Physical demand requirements are at levels of those for light to medium work;
- Work performed outside is subject to temperature extremes at various times of the year, and is performed in an environment with numerous undesirable conditions including noise, dust, fumes, and exposure to moving objects;
- The employee frequently is required to stand, walk, sit, climb stairs, stoop, kneel and crouch;
- The employee will be required to be outdoors for long periods of time;
- There may be physical demands based on physical, emotional and cognitive needs of particular children;
- The employee will be required to get into, and spend time in water areas such as pools, lakes and ocean.
Town of Kittery
Attn: Human Resources
200 Rogers Road, Kittery, ME 03904
Accepting applications until the positions are filled
The Town of Kittery is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and is committed to excellence through diversity in its staff. We strongly encourage all qualified individuals to apply.