After School Counselor - Part Time (Late Afternoons)
The Town of Kittery Community Center has an opening for a part-time After School Counselor. The rate of pay for this position ranges from $13.00 to $15.00 per hour based on experience. This position has available shifts between 3:30pm and 6:00pm, Monday through Friday.
The purpose of this part-time position is to work the after-school program named “Safe Alternatives for Enrichment”. This position reports to the Sports/SAFE Coordinator. Duties include, but are not limited to: supervising youth in the program; taking attendance; participation in daily activities and special events; leading children in all activities; keeping children safe; and performing additional tasks as assigned by the Sports/SAFE Coordinator.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The following duties are normal for this position. These are not to be construed as exclusive or all-inclusive. Other duties may be required and assigned.
- Supervises assigned children in accordance with Maine licensing
- Participates and leads children in all activities
- Participates in special events for holidays and school vacations for the S.A.F.E. program
- Responds to first aid needs of children in program
- Assist with the planning of program when required
- Be aware of staff to student ratios and notify supervisor of ratio changes during the day
- Keeps classroom space clean and tidy
- Performs other related duties as required
- Education in recreation, outdoor education, child care, or related field preferred with experience in recreation, or any equivalent combination of education, training and experience which provides the requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities for this position
- Ability to communicate effectively and in an appropriate professional manner, and to convey or exchange professional information, including school personnel, other town employees
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, supervisors, staff, parents, community leaders, and general public
- Ability to utilize mathematical formulas, and to understand a variety of professional, technical and administrative documentation, directions, regulations, instructions, methods and procedures
- Maintains proficiency in first aid and CPR
The physical abilities described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must be physically able to operate a variety of machines and equipment, including, but not limited to: computer, scanner, telephone, copy machine, shredder, facsimile machine, adding machine, keyboard, printer, hand tools and sports equipment
- Must be able to move or carry job-related objects or materials up to 50 pounds
- Must be physically capable of reaching to obtain and move various books, printouts, file boxes, computer paper, sports equipment, etc.
- Physical demand requirements are at levels of those for light to medium work
- Work performed outside is subject to temperature extremes at various times of the year, and is performed in an environment with numerous undesirable conditions including noise, dust, fumes, and exposure to moving objects.
The responsibilities outlined above cannot totally encompass or define all tasks which may be required by this position. The outline of responsibilities given above may, therefore, vary from time to time without changing the level of responsibility.
Please complete the application located on our website at www.kitteryme.gov under employment opportunities and submit a cover letter and resume to:
Town of Kittery
Attn: Human Resources
200 Rogers Road, Kittery, ME 03904
Accepting application packets until position is filled.
The Town of Kittery is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and is committed to excellence through diversity in its staff. We strongly encourage all qualified individuals to apply.