The Town of Kittery has an immediate opening for an Accounting Assistant. This position offers a full-time 35-hour work week and flexible scheduling over four or five days. The pay range for this non-exempt, union position is $29.57 per hour. This position is eligible for medical, dental, life insurance, short-term disability and retirement benefits.
The purpose of this position is to provide administrative and accounting support to the Finance Department. This position reports to the Finance Director. Duties include but are not limited to: processing accounts payable; posting transactions; maintaining records; processing notices; preparing receipts; assisting the public; and performing additional tasks as assigned by the Finance Director or Deputy Treasurer.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The following duties are normal for this position. These are not to be construed as exclusive or all-inclusive.
- Assist with preparation of annual tax bills; thirty (30) day notices, liens, and automatic impending foreclosures;
- Prepare quarterly and final sewer bills;
- Process accounts payable warrants;
- Assist with the maintenance of completed lien files, research and maintain mortgage records for lien processing and lien discharge preparation;
- Maintain vendor files, collect W-9’s for new vendors; distribute annual tax reporting;
- Maintain sewer betterment assessment files, prepare sewer assessment mortgage discharges for execution and recording at the registrar of deeds;
- Assist customers with questions and processing of bills, sewer shut offs and new accounts;
- Post receipts for utility bill payments, sewer betterment payments, special entrance fees and sewer impact fees, prepares weekly journal entry postings;
- Serves as backup for Deputy Treasurer and Human Resources Assistant as needed;
- Prepare fiscal year-end reports; assist with annual pre-audit and audit;
- Verify tax and sewer bill balances for Code Enforcement permitting process;
- Calculate, tally and prepare deposits for all payments received and complete morning cash drawer reconciliation, ensure safe storage of receipts, comply with loss prevention processes and controls;
- Assist with monthly bank reconciliation to various general ledger cash control accounts;
- Perform other related duties as required.
- High school diploma or GED required. Two-year college degree or university training in accounting or business administration, a minimum of two years-experience in accounting, accounts payable/receivable, or municipal office; or any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience which provides the requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities for this position.
- Ability to be bonded at town expense and remain bonded while employed by the Town of Kittery;
- Knowledge of municipal financial management, experience with MUNIS preferred;
- Excellent problem-solving skills and the ability to meet competing deadlines under pressure while maintaining accuracy and attention to detail;
- Ability to be highly adaptable, flexible, professional and embrace team work, but also work well independently;
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office, specifically Excel preferred;
- Ability to communicate effectively, verbally and in writing, in an appropriate professional manner, and to convey or exchange professional information;
- Ability to develop and maintain positive relationships with employees, vendors, departments and elected officials;
- Ability to utilize mathematical formulas, and to understand a variety of professional, technical and administrative documentation, directions, regulations, instructions, methods and procedures;
- Ability to produce reports that are accurate and complete;
- Must have a valid driver’s license.
The physical abilities described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must be physically able to operate a variety of machines and equipment, including, but not limited to: computer, keyboard, printer, calculator, telephone, copy/scanner/facsimile machines, postage machine and shredder;
- Must be able to move or carry job-related objects and materials up to 25 pounds;
- Must be physically capable of reaching to obtain and move various books, printouts, file boxes, computer paper, etc.;
- Work is normally performed in an office environment.
Attn: Human Resources
200 Rogers Road, Kittery, ME 03904
Accepting application packets until position is filled.
The Town of Kittery is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and is committed to excellence through diversity in its staff. We strongly encourage all qualified individuals to apply.